COMMUNITY PROJECT CO-FINANCED BY THE EUROPEAN UNION AND THE MUNICIPALITY OF STINTIN
A plan to valorise the potential of local environmental, restore the original value of the environment through the protection of habitat and species that live within the Sites of Communitary Interest (SIC) and Special Protection Area (SPA). It is the project, “Life + Sterna” financial instrument promoted by the European Union to contribute to the development and implementation of policy and environmental law. Involved in the implementation of the project also the Conservatory of the Coastal Region of Sardinia and the Cooperative fishermen Stintino.
The project aims to improve the conservation status of priority habitats, Casaraccio pond, Stintino Salt marsh and four species of birds, the Little Egret (Egretta garzetta), the Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus), the Little Tern (Sternula albifrons) and the Common Tern (Sterna hirundo). The project involves the acquisition of land to restore and preserve habitat and construct artificial islands for nesting birds.
The project involves one of the most important wetlands in the north-west of Sardinia located within the territory of the municipality of Stintino; SIC “Pond Pilo Casaraccio” (ITB 010,002), SPA “Pilo Pond, Casaraccio and Stintino Salt marsh” (ITB 01301)
The objectives of LIFE + project include improving environmental tern habitat 1150 * Coastal lagoons and priority habitat 1510 * Mediterranean salt steppes, in order to increase the number of species nesting and reproductive success of four species of birds listed in Annex one of the birds Directive (79/409/EEC):
• Little Egret (Egretta garzetta),
• Black-winged stilt (Himantopus himantopus)
• Little tern (Sternula albifrons)
• Common tern (Sterna hirundo)
In particular, it aims to:
• Achieve 100% protection of the habitat 1510 * Mediterranean salt steppes and its reach 20-30%.
• Achieve 100% protection of the habitat 1150 * Coastal lagoons
• Increase the number of breeding pairs of Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) at 25-30 pairs.
• Increase the number of breeding pairs of Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus) at 10-15 pairs.
• Increase the number of breeding pairs of Little tern (Sternula albifrons) in 22-32 and 26-45 in the wide area.
• Increase the number of breeding pairs of Common tern (Sterna hirundo), 10-15 pairs.
• Reconciling economic activities with the protection and conservation of species and habitats within the SCI / SPA for sustainable development.
• Enhance the territory through the integration of nature trails through the green corridor with SIC “Coasts and islands in the north-west of Sardinia” (ITB010043)”.
• Disseminate the natural values for the protection and conservation of biodiversity.